..well I couldn’t let it pass without comment.
In keeping with the idea of promoting Wellbeing (as the mental health services at university are keen to), to mark the day I am going to make 2 lists of 5 Good things that will pick me up when I am low -and this is harder than it sounds.
Things that make me Happy:
- Long tight hugs from the people I love
- The sound of the Atlantic rolling and crashing on the shore
- Coffee and bacon sandwiches in bed
- The sensation of the rise and fall of the chest of a sleeping pet curled beside me
- Hearing very small children (and my sweethearts) laugh
Things I am proud of:
- Being Loved – being enough of a person for people I love and respect to continue to choose to have me in their lives; Having the chance to formally and publically offer my whole life to my wife…
- Accepting that I needed to take time out of my PhD to work on my health, taking the time to ask for help
- Not giving up when the altitude sickness set in on Kilimanjaro. Slogging through seemingly sheer scree in the cold dark pre-dawn feeling dizzy and in pain to see the sunrise across a glacier above a whole continent..(its remarkably like battling depression..)
- My ability to deal with other people’s crises and/or threats of violence with calm
- Getting out of bed & leaving the house 3 or more times a week – it just ain’t as easy as it looks folks
Take care all