It has got to the time of year where one traditionally assesses the progress of the last 12 months and sets out ones plans for the next 12 months.
Its a somewhat depressing tradition for those of us not inclined to make the newspapers with our epic adventures and financial gains; but it does help put some perspective and motivation to the whole time-passing malarky
So how were my 2012 goals?
- Lose 1-2 Stone (I want to be get down to about 11)
This has been my biggest failure I am still 13st and I can’t seem to drop into the 12s for more than a week. I have been watching my diet and dog-walking is increasing my exercise but its not enough so guess what will still be on next years list?
- Create (and stick-to @ least 4 days a week) a daily exercise routine that incorporates both shoulder physio and some muscle toning (pilates/yoga & weights?)
fail 😦 I think both pain and PhD made my resolve rather weak- But I did do some exercise and I will have a blogged plan by the end of next week!
- Walk at least either 1 Munro or 1 Alpine 4000;
Rah! 1 Munro done, I re-walked my 1st ever top with B & W a few weeks after my op. Win
I actually did it… now to go through the viva and editing process.
- Write, deliver & publish my conference paper
I wrote and gave the conference paper but never actually achieved publication.. I will damn well publish something in 2013 though
- Commit to another round of counselling (as booked through Talking Therapies) and/or psychiatrist
I did do another state-sponsored round of therapy (trad. counselling) and he recommended long-term psychotherapy which I declined on the basis of not trying to do in depth psych work and write a PhD but I’m not sure how I now feel about my mental health..
- Take 1 week off each with W & B and ideally 1 week with both together
Week in Malta with W in Jan, a couple of days in Cornwall with B and a couple with W in April, a week with W’s parents, a week for the 3 of us in Scotland in August and a week in Cornwall in November with B. Tick v.g.
- Get my F***ing sleep pattern under control.
Yeah not so much
- Make sure my weekly time routine is balanced for all involved
This goal was too vague to measure but I kinda hope it worked out
- Actually successfully grow some vegetables…
Potatoes done, spring onions done, spinach done, strawberries and raspberries also harvested… winter veg not quite so well reorganised
- Finish the painting
Hmmm, ever notice how the more you do the more you find? 2/3rds done?
- Celebrate mine & W’s 10th Anniversary
Fraoch ftw. Wish I could have made it more special though
- Weight – 12 stone… I want to be less but a girl needs to be realistic.
- Exercise – 5x brisk 20 min walks/ week; 1x 30 mins swimming/week; 20 sit-ups 6x/week; 5mins shoulder stretches everyday & 5 mins knee stretches everyday
- Mindfulness – restart some meditation practices
- Housework – This will also involve a schedule, scrubbing & hoovering
- Conferences & Publication – I have 2 papers accepted at conferences (one of which or an amalgam of the both might be publishable) and I hope 2 papers can be pulled out of my thesis even prior to its full completion… then afterwards maybe a monograph proposal.
- Job – I have to start hunting in earnest… I want to apply for at least one job per month and ideally more and I want to find out if my thoughts about running a pub are actually viable
- Holidays – At least 1 new Munro (with B?) & 1 city-break with W
- Irish – Start learning to speak it..
I also want to continue growing the vegetables, decorating the house and making my beloveds smile…
Lets see how it goes.